You may not realize it, but most homeowners use their garage everyday. Even though only about 15% of the 82% of homes with two-car garages actually park their cars inside, garages are also commonly used for storage or even as added space for entertaining.
Unfortunately, there are a variety of problems that can occur over time, problems that are going to require garage door repairs. Here are a few common problems garage doors often have and how to spot them:
- Track out of alignment: The metal track that a garage door runs on must be aligned properly for it to move up and down. The more and more a door is used while operating on a bent track, the more damage it will cause. If you notice gaps between the rollers and rails or bends in the rails, it’s time to call a garage door repair company.
- Frayed cable: The cables act as the connector between the garage motor and the actual door. If the cables begin to fall off of the pulleys or even snap, the door could fall on its own and pose extreme danger. It’s unfortunately difficult to notice whether a cable is beginning to fray, but making a point to personally inspect them regularly could save you a fair amount of money and trouble.
- Broken springs: Most garage doors use two sets of springs. Torsion springs are mounted on the header above the door, while extension springs are on the sides and stretched along the overhead track. As with the cables, garage doors can fall if the spring break, posing a serious risk. However, you will definitely know when they break, because they usually let out a loud bang when they snap.
- Broken rollers: If you find yourself asking, “what is that scraping sound when opening my garage door?”, there’s a good chance you’re having problems with your rollers. Rollers can often bend or break, which prevents the door from gliding smoothly along the track. While rollers don’t necessarily pose much danger, you’ll be happy with how quietly the door moves after being repaired.
- Panel replacement: Garage door panels can be damaged by anything from bad weather, to taking a hit from a few basketballs. These repairs may be more aesthetic than anything else, but they can be very beneficial. A new garage door can offer a return on investment of up to 84%, after all.
Some may choose to have only certain damaged panels replaced, but some may opt to go for an all out door replacement. Typically, a garage door replacement costs around $1,496.
You don’t have to live with the unbearable screech of a broken garage door. Professional garage door repair services could make them almost silent.
Leave A Comment